Green smoothies are a great way to get most of your day’s vegetable intake in one glass. Drink both of the servings as a meal for an easy breakfast. The apple adds a natural sweetness to balance out the tartness of the lime. Healthy fat from the coconut milk, along with the protein powder, makes for a filling smoothie. These two elements will keep hunger at bay for several hours.
Be sure to buy organic cucumbers and apples. Unfortunately these are both heavily fertilized and on the Dirty Dozen list. Ideally we should buy everything organic, but buying those on the dirty dozen list is the best value for dollars to your health.
Swiss chard is a heavier leafy green found in most grocery stores across the US. It is in the same family as the beet family but does not produce a root, just leaves for eating. The colorful leaves hold a bounty of digestive fiber and antioxidants. It is packed with vitamin A, C and K. Chard has a mild flavor and blends well in smoothies or other savory dishes. The wide amount of micronutrients in swiss chard has been studied to show benefits for reducing blood pressure.
Coconut milk is made from the inner “meat” of the tropical coconut. It is actually a fruit, not a nut like the name implies. The “conventional nutrition” wisdom that claims that coconut milk is unhealthy because it has fat is false. In fact, the coconut has healing properties because of its healthy fat content. Coconut milk and coconut oil are both high in medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs) which can lower the risk of heart disease. Studies show that Alzheimer’s patients benefit from the MCT fats. And Alzheimer’s has a strong link to diabetes with some doctors even calling it “Type 3” diabetes.
Good kitchen tools, like good ingredients, are important for success. If your budget allows it, consider investing in a Vitamix. It is the gold standard of blenders. It purees ingredients smoother than any other blender on the market.
- Vitamix 5200 Series Blender, Black – Yes, the price tag on this blender looks like a car payment on a European luxury sedan, however, it’s the finest blender on the planet. The blade design provides for the silkiest of smoothies and sauces. And the motor on this appliance is like a turbo Vette.
- Hamilton Beach 58148A Power Elite Multi-Function Blender – A value buy for blenders. It’ll handle 95% of what you can throw at it. The body is glass which is great for clean-up and hot food like soups or sauces.
GREEN APPLE CHARD SMOOTHIE
Author: Frank Falat
Recipe type: Beverage
- Coconut milk (from a can) ⅓ cup
- Swiss Chard 1 cup
- Green Apple ORGANIC, ½
- Lime, juice of 1X
- Cucumber ORGANIC, no skin, ½X (or 1 whole Persian cuke)
- Pea protein powder 2 tbsp
- Water 1 cup
- Ice ½ cup
- Add the water, lime juice, coconut milk and swiss chard to your blender.
- Puree at full throttle until the swiss chard is completely broken down.
- Reduce the blender speed to 4 of 10, slowly add the pea protein, cucumber and apple.
- Puree again at full throttle, if needed, to completely integrate the ingredients.
- Reduce the blender speed to 4 of 10 and add the ice.
- Drink immediately.
Serving Size 16 oz
Servings Per Container 2
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 63
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 7g
Saturated Fat g
Trans Fat 0g
Total Carbohydrate 12g
Dietary Fiber g
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Photos by Flickr user Robin and Miyuki Kobayashi