Green smoothies are a great way to get most of your day’s vegetable intake in one glass. Drink both of the servings as a meal for an easy breakfast. The ginger can help sooth an upset stomach while the peach adds a natural sweetness.
Ginger is another powerful anti-inflammatory root. It is widely used to treat upset stomachs and indigestion. This familiar flavor is not just limited to ginger ale and provides the most healing benefits in its fresh root form. Most spice sections in grocery stores at least carry the dried powder version. Ginger can increase insulin release in diabetics – which is a good thing.
is an affordable and easy to find leafy green. Since it is packed in vitamins, mineral and phytonutrients it is beneficial for eyesight and macular degeneration. The potassium in spinach provides relief to those suffering from high blood pressure and increases oxygen to the body’s organs. Spinach is heavily fertilized which is why it is on the Dirty Dozen list, so only buy organic.
Good kitchen tools, like good ingredients, are important for success. If your budget allows it, consider investing in a Vitamix. It is the gold standard of blenders. It purees ingredients smoother than any other blender on the market.
- Vitamix 5200 Series Blender, Black – Yes, the price tag on this blender looks like a car payment on a European luxury sedan, however, it’s the finest blender on the planet. The blade design provides for the silkiest of smoothies and sauces. And the motor on this appliance is like a turbo Vette.
- Hamilton Beach 58148A Power Elite Multi-Function Blender – A value buy for blenders. It’ll handle 95% of what you can throw at it. The body is glass which is great for clean-up and hot food like soups or sauces.
GINGER PEACH SMOOTHIE
Author: Frank Falat
Recipe type: Beverage
- Coconut milk (from a can) ⅓ cup
- Spinach ORGANIC 1 cup
- Ginger powder ¼ tsp
- Peaches ORGANIC 1 cup
- Pea protein powder 2 tbsp
- Water 1 cup
- Ice ½ cup
- Add the water, coconut milk and spinach to your blender.
- Puree at full throttle until the spinach is completely broken down.
- Reduce the blender speed to 4 of 10, slowly add the pea protein and ginger powder and peaches.
- Puree again at full throttle, if needed, to completely integrate the ingredients.
- Reduce the blender speed to 4 of 10 and add the ice.
- Drink immediately.
Serving Size 16 oz
Servings Per Container 2
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 63
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 7g
Saturated Fat g
Trans Fat 0g
Total Carbohydrate 8g
Dietary Fiber g
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Photos by Flickr user Robin and Miyuki Kobayashi