This ingredient list of odd fellows harmonizes more than you might think. And any recipe with cocoa powder in it will be savory like chocolate milk (but without the resulting phlegm or weight gain from the dairy). Beets offer a natural sweetness to this easy recipe. Consider this recipe for a romantic occasion or holiday, too.
Beets are a powerhouse for fighting inflammation throughout the body due to the nutrient betaine. This sweet root vegetable helps detoxification from toxins, too. Beets have fiber, vitamins and minerals, but are are one of the sweetest naturally occurring vegetables, so should be consumed lightly by diabetics. Side note: the mighty beet root has been used for thousands of year as a source of sugar when sugar cane was not available.
are the most popular berry and with good reason. They are seasonal but delicious when consumed fresh. Strawberries are high in vitamin C and the good flavonoids of quercetin and kaempferol, both of which promote the good type of cholesterol and reduce atherosclerosis. Strawberries are heavily fertilized which is why they are on the Dirty Dozen list, so only buy organic.
is an affordable and easy to find leafy green. Since it is packed in vitamins, mineral and phytonutrients it is beneficial for eyesight and macular degeneration. The potassium in spinach provides relief to those suffering from high blood pressure and increases oxygen to the body’s organs. Spinach is heavily fertilized which is why it is on the Dirty Dozen list, so only buy organic.
Good kitchen tools, like good ingredients, are important for success. If your budget allows it, consider investing in a Vitamix. It is the gold standard of blenders. It purees ingredients smoother than any other blender on the market.
- Vitamix 5200 Series Blender, Black – Yes, the price tag on this blender looks like a car payment on a European luxury sedan, however, it’s the finest blender on the planet. The blade design provides for the silkiest of smoothies and sauces. And the motor on this appliance is like a turbo Vette.
- Hamilton Beach 58148A Power Elite Multi-Function Blender – A value buy for blenders. It’ll handle 95% of what you can throw at it. The body is glass which is great for clean-up and hot food like soups or sauces.
RED VELVET SMOOTHIE
Author: Frank Falat
Recipe type: Beverage
- Coconut milk from a carton (not a can) 1 cup
- Spinach, ORGANIC, fresh 1 cup
- Strawberries, ORGANIC or WILD (fresh or frozen), ½ cup
- Red Beet, raw ¼ cup
- Cocoa powder, 2 tbsp
- Pea protein powder, 2 tbsp
- Water, 1 cup
- Ice, ½ cup
- Peel the skin off the beet with a vegetable peeler or paring knife. Chop into small cubes and measure out ¼ cup.
- Add the water, coconut milk and spinach to your blender.
- Puree at full throttle until the spinach is completely broken down.
- Reduce the blender speed to 4 of 10, add the cocoa powder and pea protein powder.
- Slowly add the beets, then the strawberries.
- Puree again at full throttle, if needed, to completely integrate the ingredients.
- Reduce the blender speed to 4 of 10 and add the ice.
- Drink immediately.
Serving Size 16 oz
Servings Per Container 2
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 36
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 4g
Saturated Fat g
Trans Fat 0g
Total Carbohydrate 10g
Dietary Fiber g
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Photo by Flickr user Rob Bertholf and Robin.