Lemons and red wine vinegar provide a cleansing acidity to this simple salad dressing. It is similar to the dressing that is sold at Trader Joe’s grocery stores under the same name. Making this quick dressing yourself means you can use better quality ingredients. All homemade dressings can be sweetened with liquid stevia, to taste.
Olive oil is a staple in the Mediterranean diet since olives grow easily throughout the region. Extra virgin olive oil is monounsaturated fat, which is the healthy type. EVOO is also a powerful antioxidant and claimed to lower your cardiovascular risk. The ADA endorses the Mediterranean diet for Type 2 and Prediabetics.
Lemons are antibacterial and have the most calcium citrate of all the citrus fruits. This is important because it can decrease the rate of formation of kidney stones. Drinking lemon juice can be used to counteract nausea, heart burn or acid indigestion. The mighty lemon can also reduce swelling, water retention and inflammation in your body. It’s antibacterial properties can help to rid the body of the bacteria that causes UTI’s (urinary tract infection).
Good kitchen tools, like good ingredients, are important for success. If you have a conventional blender that can be used instead of an immersion blender.
- Immersion Hand Blender – The ideal toolkit for making salad dressings, marinades and other sauces. Also useful for pureeing soup while still in the pan.
- Fine Mesh Strainer – Pour the lemon juice through a fine mesh strainer to keep the seeds from getting in the dressing. This one works for other kitchen uses, too.
PUTTING IT ALTOGETHER
Follow the instructions below to make this simple and savory dressing. Add liquid stevia, to taste, if desired. To reduce your calorie count, add fresh water to dilute the other ingredients to your desired consistency.
RED WINE VINAIGRETTE
Author: Frank Falat
Recipe type: Salad Dressing
- Olive Oil, ¾ c
- Red Wine Vinegar, ¼ c
- Lemon Juice, from 1 fruit (~1.6 oz)
- Garlic, 1 clove or 1 tsp powdered
- Sea Salt ¼ tsp
- Black Pepper ¼ tsp
- OPTIONAL: Dry toast (no oil or butter needed) the garlic in a skillet over medium-low heat until the outside is lightly brown (5-10 minutes). Remove and discard the outside skin.
- Add the olive oil, red wine vinegar and lemon juice to the immersion blender container.
- Add the salt, pepper and garlic clove (or powder) to the blender container.
- Blend until the ingredients are fully combined.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
Serving Size 2 tbsp
Servings Per Container 12
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 126
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 14g
Saturated Fat 0g
Trans Fat 0g
Total Carbohydrate 1g
Dietary Fiber 0g
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
SHARING IS CARING
Has this recipe helped you learn more about making a healthy salad dressing? If you enjoyed this recipe, others may also find it useful. If we’ve earned it, can we kindly ask that you share this article online or through email? A referral is the greatest compliment a customer can give a business and we thank you for helping us spread the good word to the millions who suffer from this troubling disease.