The flavors of Italy sing in this salad dressing. It is similar to the dressing that is sold at Trader Joe’s grocery stores under the same name. Making this quick dressing yourself means you can use better quality ingredients. All homemade dressings can be sweetened with liquid stevia, to taste.
Olive oil is a staple in the Mediterranean diet since olives grow easily throughout the region. Extra virgin olive oil is monounsaturated fat, which is the healthy type. EVOO is also a powerful antioxidant and claimed to lower your cardiovascular risk. The ADA endorses the Mediterranean diet for Type 2 and Prediabetics.
Good kitchen tools, like good ingredients, are important for success. If you have a conventional blender that can be used instead of an immersion blender.
- Filtered Water – Good water makes for good salad dressing.
- Immersion Hand Blender – The ideal toolkit for making salad dressings, marinades and other sauces. Also useful for pureeing soup while still in the pan.
PUTTING IT ALTOGETHER
Follow the instructions below to make this simple and savory dressing. Add liquid stevia, to taste, if desired. To reduce your calorie count, add fresh water to dilute the other ingredients to your desired consistency.
TUSCAN ITALIAN DRESSING
Author: Frank Falat
Recipe type: Salad Dressing
- Olive Oil ¾ c
- Balsamic Vinegar ¼ c
- Garlic 1 clove or 1 tsp of powder
- Sea Salt ¼ tsp
- Black Pepper ¼ tsp
- Sun Dried Tomatoes ½ c
- Water ½ c
- Fresh Basil or Parsley, chopped, 1 tbsp
- Bring ½ c of water to a boil. Pour over the sun-dried tomatoes to rehydrate them in a glass, ceramic or metal container. Allow them to soak for 20 minutes or until soft.
- OPTIONAL: Dry toast (no oil or butter needed) the garlic in skillet over medium-low heat until the outside is lightly brown (5-10 minutes).
- Add the olive oil and balsamic vinegar to the immersion blender container.
- Add the salt and pepper, garlic clove (or powder), fresh basil, rehydrated tomatoes and the ½ c of hot water used for the tomatoes to the blender container.
- Blend until the ingredients are fully combined.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
Serving Size 2 tbsp (30g)
Servings Per Container 10
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 153
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 17g
Saturated Fat 0g
Trans Fat 0g
Total Carbohydrate 5g
Dietary Fiber 0g
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.